Thursday, October 31, 2013

seriously dark chocolate sugar cookies for everyday


Some days all you want is a simple cookie. Not loaded. No oats, nuts or dried fruit. No chocolate chips. Just a plain ole sugar cookie. Make that a seriously dark chocolate sugar cookie. One where there is a slight tinge of bitterness and not cloying sweet. They are not crumbly and can be rough-handled by preschoolers and at the same time, tender to the bite. It goes utterly well with a glass of cold milk. Or a mug of sugarless black tea. It's perfect for a middle of the day pick-me-up or a midnight nibble. My boys love these for their snack time. They enjoy having them as a post-dinner treat. I make them quite small so they can be stuffed into snackboxes. I leave a couple on my co-worker's desk as a surprise happy treat. I probably can go on and on about how these are so perfect for any time. Did I mention how good these are? I guess I did. 

Recipe for dark chocolate sugar cookies
Makes a whole lot of cookies depending on your cookie cutter. Great for freezing whatever you don't need at the moment.
{adapted from sweetapolita}

6 cups (750g) of plain flour 
1 and 1/4 cup (135g) cocoa powder
1 tsp salt (I use fine-grained sea salt)
4 sticks (450g) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups (400g) caster sugar
1 cup (220g) light or dark brown sugar ( I use dark)
3 eggs ( I use large)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coffee oil or extract (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together, flour, cocoa powder and salt. Beat butter in a stand mixer attached with a paddle till light and pale. Add sugars and continue to beat for another 3 mins or so. Add extracts and eggs and incorporate them. Add flour mixture and mix till just combined. Tip the whole lot into a large plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30mins. 10mins before baking, preheat oven to 175C. Take out half the dough and placed on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to about 3mm thick and cut out with your choice of cutter. Bake on a silpat or baking paper for 12-15mins till edges are crisp and the middles are very slightly soft. Allow cookies to cool slightly on the baking tray before cooling totally on a rack. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,,may i know is this cookies very
sweet,,hope ucan share,,
thanks
nigela--- sg

shaz said...

I don't find them terribly sweet.